See photos (5)

Eglise Saint Laurent

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Church in Arvieux
  • The Saint Laurent church in golden stones of the XVIth century and the temple destroyed in 1684 and rebuilt in 1803, face each other, sign of religious tolerance...

  • Built at the end of the 15th and the beginning of the 16th centuries, it was mutilated during the religious wars. Several restorations were undertaken, notably the vault in the 17th century.

    The bell tower is made of stone and similar to those of most of the churches in the Briançon area, with its spire and its four pyramidions.

    There are at least two superimposed sundials.
    The oldest one is circular and similar to the one in Aiguilles (1838). A photograph from the beginning of the...
    Built at the end of the 15th and the beginning of the 16th centuries, it was mutilated during the religious wars. Several restorations were undertaken, notably the vault in the 17th century.

    The bell tower is made of stone and similar to those of most of the churches in the Briançon area, with its spire and its four pyramidions.

    There are at least two superimposed sundials.
    The oldest one is circular and similar to the one in Aiguilles (1838). A photograph from the beginning of the 20th century shows the old sundial on the façade of the church: it was a little less than 2m in diameter and had no frame.
    The biggest one is surrounded by a floral decoration like the one in the Fantin house in the center of the village (dated 1734 and restored by Rémi Potey).
    This church sundial has been painted over the previous one with an ochre square framing the old pattern.

    At the base of the wall of the bell tower, remains of a 16th century fresco relating to Saint Michael and Saint Christopher.

    A semicircular porch framed by colonnettes is sheltered under a contemporary canopy.

    The sculpted capitals of the columns represent characters and foliage.

    The three-bay nave was enlarged after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 to accommodate new converts. Nineteenth-century statues, an eighteenth-century choir altarpiece, paintings and a rostrum, a nineteenth-century pulpit, and stone baptismal fonts complete the furnishings.
Close